Christmas is just around the corner! I can tell by the number of hours I’m stuck in traffic! LOL! Kidding aside, that time of gift-giving is indeed quite near. Have you thought of what to get the young ones yet?
I made this guide with the sentiment of many moms in mind, don’t give the kids any more plastic toys. These suggestions are suitable for kids ages 5 to 10 (roughly my kids’ ages), though a couple are also applicable for toddlers. By the way, this list has been approved by the kids. 🙂
1. 2-in-1 Whiteboard/Blackboard Easel
- Price Range: P700 – P1200
- Saw it at: Lazada / Shopee
- Search Term: kids art drawing board / easel whiteboard
- Why it’s great: One day, I decided to get our small whiteboards out and it was an instant hit with the kids. They spent a good amount of time writing and doodling to their hearts’ content. Having a stand-up kind would make a nice addition to any study room. They make great teaching aids too. I can already imagine the kids playing teacher and students with it!
- Price Range: P1000 – P2000
- Saw it at: KidSports
- Search Term: backpack
- Why it’s great: Backpacks are great! They’re functional and they never go out of style. Getting a classic look like the one above, guarantees that the kids won’t cringe when they outgrow the princesses, sparkles, robots and dinosaurs.
3. Ant Farm
- Price Range: P1000 – P2350
- Saw it at: Pet Ants Manila / Lazada / Shopee
- Search Term: Ant Farm DIY
- Why it’s great: Every kid wants a pet. Because we’re not allowed to have the usual dogs as pets, the kids always joke that their pets are the ants that they see at home. Well, as it turns out, ants can actually be pets! Ant farms are a great way to study these hardworking creatures up close. From their website,
You’ll be able to clearly see the developmental stages of ants, from egg to larva to pupa to adult ant. Mature carpenter ant colonies have soldiers, also called major workers!!
4. Epic! Subscription
- Price Range: P1100 – P3750 ($22 – $72)
- Saw it at: Epic!
- Why it’s great: It’s Netflix for children’s books! Need I say more? We’re on the 30-day free trial now and it’s great! If we want to learn about snails, for example, I’d just open the app and do a search, no need to go to a bookstore to find an actual book. Epic! includes popular titles like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Geronimo Stilton and Thea Stilton. Their website also offers an easy way of giving it through the Gift tab.
5. BuriBooks Subscription
- Price Range: P199 – P799 ($3.99 – $15.99)
- Saw it at: BuriBooks
- Why it’s great: This, on the other hand, is the Netflix for Filipino children’s books by Adarna House. Books from Adarna House typically come in bilingual form, Tagalog and English in one page. This is great for the kids who are struggling in Filipino (*raises hands) because it also has an illustrated dictionary and lessons and activities by grade level. A hard copy of an Adarna Book usually costs P99 so getting a subscription is very cost-effective. It also offers a free 30-day trial.
6. Books to Enjoy as a Family
- Price Range: Varies
- Saw it at: Bookstores
- Why it’s great: Books might not appeal to all kids (*like mine) but these are meant to be different. These books are good literature that are not for the kids to read but for the whole family to enjoy. One person can read the book out loud while the rest listens. As these may be long, it’s not meant to be done in just one sitting.
- Suggested titles:
- Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
- All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
- The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
- Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater
- Stuart Little by E.B. White
- Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- Heidi by Johanna Spyri
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
7. Games to Enjoy as a Family
- Price Range: Varies
- Saw it at: AlterEgo in Shangri-la Mall / BoardGame Boy
- Why it’s great: As the kids get older, they are now able to play games with the whole family. Board games make great bonding activity. Popular family titles include Monopoly, Jenga, UNO, Exploding Kittens, Spot It, etc. In the photo, they’re playing a card game called Cutthroat. I haven’t tried it yet but they seem to be enjoying themselves.
8. Basic Gardening Kit for Kids
- Price Range: P300 – P900
- Saw it at: Lazada / Shopee
- Search Term: gardening kit for kids
- Why it’s great: Kids love to play with the dirt. It would be nice to get them started with gardening. They’d learn a lot about how seeds grow and how one can grow his own food. A kit with the necessary tools like gloves, watering can, rake, trowel, pots, and seeds make a perfect gift for these young ones.
I hope you’ve enjoyed our gift guide. Happy shopping! 🙂