One unusual Saturday, the normally busy husband suddenly had time to spare for the family. I went online to find activities around the metro that we could try as a family or fun places that we could go to. I finally decided on Ark Avilon, a mini-zoo not so far from home. It sounded perfect. I was even able to buy discount vouchers online before going! Yey! This is a description from the voucher:
Built to resemble the Biblical Noah’s Ark, the zoo provides an ideal and an exciting getaway for the entire family without having to go outside of Metro Manila
These beautiful birds greeted us at the entrance.
Be prepared to shell out a couple more bucks inside as you can opt to buy feeds for the animals to better interact with them (hint, fun for the kids!). It’s P40 for one type of animal (e.g. fishes). If you wanted to feed another, say, the birds, that’s another P40. You can also have photos taken at P50/animal.
For P160, I was given fish food, bird seeds, some bananas (for the bearcat) and some okras (for the tortoise or the goat upstairs).
Feeding the bird.
They had fun feeding the fishes too! I wasn’t able to take a photo of them feeding the bearcat as it gobbled up the food too quick.
Apart from the animal interactions, there were also attractions like the white tiger.
And the leopard. There was also a female lion but it was asleep.
Further inside, we were surprised to see a big orangutan! Jenny had on a yellow shirt that had her name on it, shorts, and even Crocs! She was just walking around in her stage like a normal person!
Here’s a closer look. We were able to take a photo with her and she even had her arms around us! I forgot to check if she was also smiling for the camera! LOL!
There were more animal interactions upstairs as the goats, lamb, donkeys, sheep, rabbits, and hamsters were there. There was a separate booth where you could buy feeds for them, again, P40 for each.
The donkey being given a carrot.
Here they are feeding the goat and sheep some greens.
A closer look.
Apart from those, there were also other animals like snakes, birds, lizards, and meerkats.
The Gift Shop.
We were done in about 45 minutes.
What I Like:
- A mini zoo in the metro. Watching the kids’ reactions when the animals that they normally see in books and on TV are in front of them is just priceless! And to be able to do that without travelling far is such a big plus!
- Perfect for young kids. Being able to interact with the animals by giving them food and touching them makes the experience so much more memorable.
What I Don’t Like:
- It’s a really small zoo. I find that the normal price of P400 is a bit too steep, especially for younger park guests. Do try to grab the discount deals while they’re available. This one from MetroDeal shaves the ticket price to more than half and is now at only P189.
- When we were there, there was just another family ahead of us. It might be their lack of customers that led the employees to lose interest in manning their booths. I had to wait a long time to be able to buy the feeds as there was no one in the booth.
- I found that the bigger animals like the tiger, leopard, lion, look lost in a place like a mini zoo. I do hope those animals don’t share my sentiments. 😛
Despite it being small and having limited animals, I’m still glad we went. It was a fun experience for the kids (though maybe not so much for the adults). When we review animal books or watch the Baby Animals Song (by Kidsongs), they’d remark on how they saw those animals also in the zoo and how they fed them carrots and gulay. 😉 I’m just glad we got the tickets at a discounted rate.
Ark Avilon Zoo
Frontera Verde Ortigas Ave. corner C-5, Pasig City
Tel. (02) 706-2992